Wednesday, January 23, 2013

It Begins...Again!

The Spring semester of KCJS is now underway! Just within this first week, a lot has happened. I came down with carpal tunnel, made my first visit to the doctor, considered changing host families, and decided to tough it out where I am. This semester, I'm taking a Women's Studies course all in Japanese. It's been pretty interesting and manageable thus far. And the new KCJS kids seem like a good bunch. There are a lot of new faces, though, and I'm still learning names. I know that I still haven't written about my winter break yet - I'll be putting those up as 'flashbacks' as I get around to writing them.

As a whole, not that much has happened this semester. I'm still contacting groups that I'm interested in joining, mostly non-collegiate circles. Japanese college students have break from February to April, so most club activities stop as well. I plan to continue Kyudo, but until my wrist gets better, I have to take a break from it.

Today, we had an Exchange Party with Japanese students. By which I mean, our 38 exchange students, and 3 Japanese students. We had ordered food for 80 people. Remember, Japanese universities are in finals season, so most kids were busy. Three or four more showed up midway, but the format wound up being one Japanese person at a table and seven or eight of us. We didn't get much farther than self introductions and small talk while eating the sandwiches and muffins that were provided for lunch.

Afterwards, though, five of us wound up taking six Japanese students to the cafe, where we talked for a good three hours. It was great, really. I feel like my motivation to keep meeting people has returned. Look out Kyoto, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment