Sunday, October 14, 2012

The New, Improved Sam is Still Just Sam



So I’m 21 now! I'm older, wiser, and cooler...but actually I'm exactly the same person I was before. On my birthday…I went to school! Okay, so when school ended, I killed some time, and then went with my friends over to the Kamo (River) to have my first (American) legal drink. Nick, Sandy, and I shared a large canister of umeshu, along with some chips and stuff. I really wanted to sit on the turtle rocks, but since we didn’t want to be in the way, we sat on some birds instead.

So Sandy met up with her language partner, and Nick and I proceeded to walk down to Sanjo. For those of you who haven’t been to Kyoto, that’s 1.5 miles. I had wanted to go to Book Off and buy myself a Playstation Vita, a birthday present from me to me. Now, when we got there, I was disappointed to find that they didn’t have any for sale. Same goes for the other Book Off one street up. Rather than give up, me and Nick took the train to Kyoto Station, and went to Yodobashi Camera, a big electronics store. Getting the Vita, required memory card, one game, a case, screen protector, plus a PSN card I owed my friend came to a bit over 40,000 yen. So I had them hold everything while I ran to a 7-11, took out 50,000 yen (that’s more than $500), come back, and drop that at the counter. I got maybe 2,000 yen back. 

We wanted to grab a beef bowl for dinner, but by then it was pretty late. The only thing open was McDonalds. And so my birthday dinner wound up as a quarter pounder with large sized fries. And since McDonalds closed at 9pm (unacceptable for the mighty McDonalds to close so early!), we had to eat in underground shopping center Porta. Still, it was pretty nice; Mickey D’s here is pretty tasty, and it was kind of cool in an ironic way.

When I got home, there was a MASSIVE cake waiting for me. Like, it couldn’t fit in the fridge, because if came from Costco and was therefore enormous. So, with no alternative or hope of eating the cake at home, I packed it up, and on Thursday morning, brought that beast into school. It wasn’t easy getting it to Doshisha, let me tell you. The train was packed, and the cake was big. But I made it work out anyway!

We asked Wada-san, one of the KCJS personnel, to call together all the students and divvy up the cake. And eat cake they did. We were able to finish about ¾ of the thing, but that still left a lot to be accounted for. I ended up dishing it out at language circle.

So, then there was Friday, my birthday party. I was the first one at the restaurant, but I was worried when nobody had shown up by 4:45. Finally, everyone started to trickle in, until at last we had the good majority of my crew ready to go at a little after 5:00. We filled up the restaurant, and after a little seat shuffling, placed our orders. By the end of the night, I had three mega-beers, and a massive amount of chicken. This time, I only had ONE piece of horumon.

Although some people drifted away before karaoke, my friend Hidehiro joined up with us. Of course, this was JUST before we decided NOT to go to karaoke: it was way too expensive, so we just cancelled. I think they might have put a bounty on my head or something. We made our way to the Kamogawa, and hung out. By hung out, I mean drank more and hung out. I had a full bottle of whiskey when we started, and it was half empty when we decided to leave. I’m certain I had help with that, I promise. Anywho, I feel like I was able to make at least one good friend, so I feel like it was a great success.

Now, the great fail was that I missed the last train home. So Hidehiro took my drunk ass to grab a beef bowl for after-dinner. In my drunken state, I dropped the egg on the bar. Sorry, dude who had to clean that up. Afterwards, since a taxi home would have been too expensive, we paid 2000 yen for all-night karaoke. For the first hour, I couldn’t read the screen unless I closed one eye. And then I realized the room we were in didn’t have any songs I liked, so poor Hide had to call the front and ask for a room change. Around 2 am, we decided to take a nap. I put on my headphones and was out like a light. When I woke up, I was much more sober, and it was a lot colder out. It was also 4:45 am.
We Googled the closest McDonalds, and bought some breakfast. Crispy chicken for me! I don’t think I’ve had McDonalds twice in one week since I was 7 years old. We finished that, checked the train schedule, and walked through the deserted streets of Kyoto to the train station. I took the train home, waited 30 minutes for the bus, and arrived at home just after 7 am.

First challenge: the gate was locked. I was about to climb over it (as sketch as that would be), but I realized the lock didn’t require a key (?).

Second challenge: upon opening the door, I realize my host family LOCKED THE CHAIN. Not cool. Not cool at all. Just moments from being an awful person and calling out for someone to let me in, my host mother comes downstairs, and opens the chain. I stride in, pretty much not listening to what my host mother was saying (something about rakugo). I brushed my teeth, and proceeded to sleep until 1 in the afternoon.

And so I took another step towards living the Japanese life: stay out late, miss the last train, come home at an absurd hour. While this weekend saw something important take a turn for the worse, overall, I had one of the best birthdays ever. Actually, I’m ready to say the best birthday ever. Because I think I have the best group of friends anyone could ask for, both here and back home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment