Monday, November 26, 2012

First and Last: The Rakugo Show (and Epic Afterparty)

At long last, I am free of the shackles of Rakugo. Today was the big show that my host mother recruited me for. I had agreed to participate back when I was trying to get to know my host parents, but it soon became a noose from which I couldn't escape.

I was awoken at 8am by my host mother shouting from downstairs. I felt like crap, since I had come down with a cold. My nose was running, and my throat hurt. But I felt that I'd rather get it over with, so I took some medicine and toughed it out. We took the train to Shijo, and then a taxi to the shopping arcade. I led the way to the temple. Ironic that the white kid led the old Japanese lady to a temple in Kyoto, but I know the Teramachi area REALLY well.

We had to go around back to enter the temple complex. On the second floor, set up had already started. But a small tragedy struck - one of my Kyudo phone straps had broken off during the trip. A shame, since I had really liked that mato charm. Disheartened, I started helping out putting together the stage, and then explored the temple with my friend Akira.

We ate lunch before getting changed. Nothing special, just some cold conbini bento. I ate my fill, and drank a lot of tea, which did wonders for my throat. Even though I was told I could take my time, before I finished eating the leader of the Rakugo circle shooed the men into another room to change their clothes. Of course, I don't know how to put on kimono, so two old ladies came into the men's changing room anyway. They helped deck me out in a heavy wool kimono, which was really warm.

After I had finished, I went into the hall to cool down, where I found my friends Kenji and Sandy waiting for the show to start. I was glad to see them, since I felt more comfortable making a fool of myself in front of my friends. Nick, Tina, and Tala showed up a little late, and soaking wet (it was raining that day). By that time, the show had started.

I was the third act, and everything went perfectly. I didn't make any big mistakes, and I even got a couple laughs out of the audience. Afterwards, I relaxed in the audience and watched the show. Some of the performances were actually good, others, not so much. When it was over, I lost no time in changing my clothes and taking off with my friends. It was party time.

We walked over to Loft, where we met up with a couple more AKP friends, and then went to Chifaja, an all-you-can-eat yakiniku restaurant on Kiyamachi. Since the last two members of our group were running late, we decided to get started without them. We got some meat on the grill, and started cooking.It was only when we started placing orders that the trouble began. While the other half of the table received all of their orders right away, our half didn’t get meat for an entire twenty minutes.

As Chifaja only gives you an hour and half, twenty minutes without food is obscene. Our friend Tina went into rage mode, and we had to talk her down from throwing the next server who walked by onto the grill. Finally, Matsu came to the rescue. In the coolest, most Japanese passive-aggressive keigo, he calmly told the waitress that we've been waiting for a long time, and that we're upset we have to order again, and then ordered six or seven plates of meat. They came out five minutes later. Disaster averted.

Shortly after, Will and Yuka showed up - for some reason or other, they wound up getting there 30 minutes late. Will took over the grill, cooking the meat at an increasingly fast pace. At one point, the grill burst into flames while still full - without showing fear, Will expertly plated the soon-to-be charred meat. He saved every last piece, without getting burned.

Afterwards, everyone headed to the river to pre-game the club. After chatting for an hour, we decided to head to butterfly. Butterfly is one of two major clubs in Kyoto, and the one favored by most exchange students. There were indeed some other foreigners there. After waiting in line for a few minutes, we paid our entrance fee and went in. It was a little smokey, but there weren't too many people there. I crammed my bag into a locker and found a place to hang out with my friends. Before long, we were all dancing, and before I knew it, the floor was packed with other club goers.

Many things happened there in the club - we ran into Gabe and Calum from KCJS, made some new friends, and witnessed some of my drunk friends getting very attached to each other. I also learned that will is a really good dancer, and he attracted some new fans. Overall, a fun day, even though I had a cold. My first night going clubbing was a great success.

No comments:

Post a Comment