Monday, November 12, 2012

Mawaru Mawaru: Art Appreciation Club, Part 1

It's occurred to me that the weekends here are colorful and filled with adventure. Today was another of those Saturdays. But before I get into that, let me tell you about Friday. It's been about three months since I got to Japan, and I hadn't gotten a haircut yet. It was time, let me tell ya. My friend, Kenji, really helped me out and made me an appointment. I met him at Momoyama Goryomae, and we went together to the salon. Kenji helped me explain  what sort of cut I wanted, and then waited for me to finish.

First off, I got a shampoo. But not the regular kind. After she rinsed my hair, the hairdresser set me up in this hair washing machine. I'm not exactly how it works since I had my face covered, but it felt like being sprayed by jets of water and shampoo. And that's probably what it was, too.

The haircut was fairly uneventful, as haircuts go. I made small talk about studying in Japan and whatnot. And then the hairdresser announces, "I will now massage your head." You would think that a head massage would be uncomfortable, but it wasn't. It actually was pretty strange, but not unpleasant. And when she finishes, she puts a few finishing touches on my hair, and then I get another shampoo (not by the machine this time). Lastly, I get brought to this room where you're supposed to brush hair or whatever off of your clothes, not that I needed to. The whole thing was 4200 yen - costly, but hey, you only need a haircut once in a while, and it looks pretty good, I think.

Kenji had a bit of time before he had to go to his part time job, so we grabbed a doughnut at Mister Donut and caught up. I actually hadn't seen him all week, so there was a lot to talk about. I told him about how I went to go find his bike, which had been moved due to campus cleaning. Kenji is a real joy to hang out with, being a mix of serious and silly, and really good English skills. But since he had his job, I headed home for the day, where I finally started the newly aired JoJo series.

On to today. I got up decently early, did some laundry, and called my parents. Unfortunately, I had Rakugo practice, and at a different place than usual. Still, rather than pay for the train, I decided to walk there, which was really pleasant in the warm afternoon sun. Despite all my practice, nobody seemed pleased. I think that because my English is so natural, older Japanese people find it hard to understand. Oh well, I'm almost done with Rakugo anyway. An hour later, I was about to leave practice when the leader of the circle showed up, and demanded that I practice once for her, but she made me do the whole entry and exit as well as my skit. I wound up leaving 20 minutes later than I'd expected and  wanted to.

And so a late and slightly cranky Sam found his way to the train station. From there, I made my way, by way of JR, to Saga Arashiyama where I was supposed to meet Nick and his friends. While it was tough to get in touch with them, I finally got a reply from Nick telling me to meet them at Nison-in. I looked at the guide map, and started walking. It was a beautiful area, almost like a fusion of old style Kyoto and Okayama countryside. Maybe that was what old Japan felt like? Of course, caught up in the scenery, I soon forgot which way I was supposed to go.

I walked past a bamboo grove, through a park, and alongside an apartment complex. Finally, just when I thought I was lost for real, I saw an old wooden sign with barely legible characters pointing out the way to Nison-in. I followed it, which led to another sign, and then another. Before I knew it, I was there in front of the main gate.

Shortly after, Nick showed up with the rest of the club. Everyone seemed really shy, so I mostly tried to brighten the atmosphere by cracking jokes in Japanese with Nick. A couple people laughed, so I guess it worked. We toured the temple, which featured two golden Buddhist statues, really old graves, and some incredibly fiery maple trees. The scenery was stunning. At one point, I got into a conversation with one of the guys, which was a lot of fun. It turns out that there are Japanese people who prefer American cartoons to Japanese anime. I guess the thought never occurred to me, because I was decently surprised to hear this.

After the temple, the club leader asked if I wanted to join them for dinner, which I did, of course. We rode one of the buses all the way across the city to Kyoto University. Dinner, as it turned out, was at that curry place that I went to with Haruhi back in October. As before, it was really good, and we even got some special service - free mango lassie. Ah, but I was in for a real shock too: it was the first store in Japan I've been to where you can't pay with a 10,000 yen bill! I had to borrow 1000 yen from Nick, since I had nothing smaller. Weird, Japan is a country where large bills are common, so I figure this was a rare occurrence.

We all returned to the clubhouse, which was pretty much an old storage shed at the university. Still, it had real personality, which was nice. Nick and I were among the first to arrive, and when we walked in, there was one person inside eating dinner. She asked us which one of us was Nick. Surprised, I asked how she knew about him,but it seems he had written in their diary the last time he went. She was eating what looked like a massive inside out sushi roll, which she referred to as a California roll. This launched us into an amusing conversation about American sushi culture, especially when Nick referred to the "authentic" California roll, as if it were traditional sushi.

Little by little, the other club members trickled in, bringing with them a bottle of umeshu and some beer, plus juice and snacks. Everyone sat around, chatting and snacking and drinking. It was nice, just relaxing like that. Then, one of the members suggested they revive an old tradition. They dealt out playing cards, paired us up with the person with the next highest number, and sent us to walk around the block. It seems to be a "getting to know your clubmates" tradition. That, or setting people up on dates. Anyway, I got paired with Shun, this amusing, charismatic, and "not dangerous" fellow. We walked and made small talk, nothing out of the ordinary. It was a lot of fun though. When we got back, I tried to draw America in the club's logbook, which didn't really come out so well. I talked a bit more, until it was time to head home. I was invited to come back again, which I totally plan to do. It seems like a good way to meet people, as well as get to see temples around Kyoto.

No comments:

Post a Comment