Tuesday, December 18, 2012

EVE: Doshisha at Her Finest, Part 1



Doshisha EVE, my host university’s school festival, turned out to be a life-changing event. Well, life-changing in terms of my life here in Japan. It’s easier to understand if I start from the beginning.
I got to campus fairly early, around 9am. Booths were still setting up, so I found a quiet place to study kanji for a bit. My good friend Dani was part of a 軽音サークル (Light Music Club), and I was hoping to catch her performance. After exchanging a couple mails, I figured out which building she was in (I still don’t know the names of all the buildings on campus) and made my way over. I got there in time to see the first band perform. And damn, they were good! In fact, this was true of nearly all of the bands. There was only one that I really disliked, and that was some experimental music group that thought it was a good idea to throw their guitars on the ground to get them to make abnormal sounds. Aside from that little stunt, the performers were freaking amazing. There were a variety of styles: rock, pop, jazz, funk, and more. Really, these kids have talent – lots of them play multiple instruments, and play them well. 

A little after noon, SMMA (the music club) went on break, and so Dani, Nick, and I decided to wander around a bit. Our first stop was the ramen booth some of our friends were running. For about 300 yen, we got a decent bowl of ramen with Hokkaido-shaped nori. Truth be told, it was pretty tasty! I chatted a bit with my friend Matsu, who explained that the booth was being run by a group of friends from the same summer camp, and that it was Hokkaido themed because they went there last summer. Ah, the freedom of Japanese college students.

After strolling around a little longer, I decided I wanted to take a look at the festival guide, so we found the information desk and got some programs. Curious to see what sort of booths were open, I flipped through until something caught my eye. Something which, once I took a better look got my heart racing. It turned out that Doshisha has a VOCALOID Research Club, something that is very relevant to my interests. Taking lead of the group, the three of us found our way to the building where the club had set up, and I headed in. There were three or four guys in the room, and they told me that if I filled out a survey, I could get a free CD of the songs they had created. It was pretty simple, just asking about my interests in VOCALOID. After I turned it in and received their CD, I mentioned that I was interested in participation. They seemed shocked that this foreigner not only spoke Japanese, but also had an interest in VOCALOID, but they told me they’d be glad to have me participate. The only catch is that they’re at the really far campus (the one near where I live), and they meet during lunch blocks. Maybe next semester, assuming my schedule permits, I can join in.

Leaving the VOCALOID room, I looked around for Nick and Dani. They were at the other end of the hall, and I went over to join them. They had just been invited to try…something. We actually had no idea what it was, but they handed us a lantern, told us to start at the point labeled F, and sent us into a darkly lit room. There were a couple people in ghoul masks, and at first I thought it was some sort of haunted house. It turned out to be some sort of trivia game. In Japanese. We were outclassed from the start. As we puzzled the answers to the questions, many other groups came in and out. Finally, we asked for some hints, and somehow discovered the answer. On a related note, we later asked a friend WHY the correct answers were correct. It turns out to be some crazy sort of wordplay in one case, and a matter of symmetrical kanji in the other. Making our way outside, we received a handout from the club – they were some sort of lantern club. I guess they appreciate lanterns? Anyway, it was a really cool idea, just not meant for foreigners. Well, I guess we’ll never be tricked by that sort of puzzle again!

Coming out of the building, Nick got a mail from one of his infinity Japanese friends. Since she was at the festival too, we met up with her and two of her friends. They seemed nice, just shy (what a surprise!). I broke off for a moment to go to the piano club’s booth, but it seemed like they were too busy to talk at that point. Somehow or other, we wound up going to this maid café, run by what I assume was the anime club. It was kind of neat, although half of the maids were actually dudes. Sadface L We shared some laughs as we read through the book of messages left behind on the table. I scribbled something silly in too, but there were some seriously amusing stuff in there.

We wound up splitting into two groups at this point. Dani and I went to the SMMA performance on the big stage, while Nick went somewhere else with his friend. A couple of my friends are in one of the SMMA bands, one called LionPanda. They play a sort of lively, big band sounding jazz. I think they were my favorite of the performers. Anywho, they were one of the three or four bands who appeared on the stage, and was a joy to listen to. 

It was getting a little late, but I texted Nick to see what he was up to. We met up with him over by the computer building, where he was checking out the manga club’s exhibition. Clubs here don’t simply consume media; they create it. The room was filled with incredible drawings, as well as manga drawn by various club members. Nick suggested we check out the art club too, which was actually very similar. They had some amazing artists in there. We actually wound up talking with one of the girls there, who was a first year student. The four of us just chatted for a good 30 minutes or so.

And so it was time to go home for the day. But by no means was this experience over! Be sure to check out Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment