Wednesday, December 19, 2012

EVE: Doshisha at Her Finest, Part 2



My story continues the following day. Again, I arrived at Doshisha bright and early, met up with Dani, and made my way to SMMA’s room to listen to more performances. Just like the day before, the music was excellent. While it turned out I missed seeing Dani’s band perform (I was away at Amanohashidate), I did get to see my friend Kaori rock out on the drums. I’m glad I was able to make it!

Just after Kaori finished up, we had to bolt – I had promised my friend Ai I would come see her dance. When we got the stage, there were a few other dance groups that performed first. But it was good that we showed up for them – I got to see amazing breakdancing, hip hop, and all sorts of dances. Ai’s performance was jazz dance, I think. It was good. Like, really good. Props to whoever did the choreography for that. There’s something about these Japanese clubs; everyone is just so GOOD at what they do! I’m kind of jealous, actually. More on my jealousy of Japanese clubs shortly.

We wandered about again, eventually being persuaded/conned into buying some beef stew. It turns out it was Campbell’s soup beef stew. And I didn’t get any beef in my stew. Lame. After a brief circuit around the campus, I headed back to the smaller stage to see another SMMA performance. As I listened, I chatted with Kaori about SMMA; by this point, I had decided that I was interested in joining up. I was surprised to hear that SMMA had a tradition where after EVE, third year students retire from the club. It seems that all my friends were performing in SMMA for the last time.

Unfortunately, as a result of KCJS not matching its schedule to Doshisha, I had homework due the next day. (Side note: Doshisha was technically closed due the anniversary of its founding; we had class anyway.) But since I didn’t want to head home, I went into the library for a couple hours and did what had to be done. Doshisha’s library reminds me of the Graduate School library back home. It’s so quiet that even sitting down seems to make a lot of noise. A place like that makes you want to do your work and get out, which is precisely what I did.

I got back to SMMA’s room just in time to hear LionPanda’s last performance. They played this beautiful song called 新しい日々, which I would have paid for a CD of. No, really, it was that good. 
Over the course of the last two days, I witnessed the strength of 先輩後輩関係 (Relationship between upper and lower classmen). The kohai would present the retiring senpai with flowers, a photograph, and some other present, and thank them for being so kind, sometimes telling a story related to the person. The senpai would tell them how glad they were to have met them, and that they should still hang out in the future. Well, something like that. There were tears and emotions. I don’t think I’ve seen a group of people that care so much about each other. 

This reached its peak when the senpai all got on stage to say goodbye to the kohai. Everyone was crying at this point. Hell, I was crying at this point. This was when I realized I had to be a part of this circle. Not once in my life have I been a part of a club like that, where everyone cares so much about each other like that. I’m so envious that Japanese students get to have this wonderful experience; I think it’s incredible.

Incidentally, during this last, tear evoking scene, the scent of something burning started spreading through the room. I looked around for smoke, but found nothing. The smell kept getting stronger, and at last some of the guys went for the windows. There was construction outside, and the windows were taped shut, but I gave them a hand and we were able to pop open two of the windows. It helped, to some degree.

With that ceremony, EVE had reached its conclusion, and it was time to clean up. And so clean up we did! I asked if I could help out, and it seems they were glad to have another pair of hands. I helped take down decorations and flyers, and then carried tables (which they had used to make the stage) out and around back of the Fusokan.

But if you think that’s the end of my night, you’d be dead wrong! Me and Nick headed on over to Kyodai for our Art Appreciation club meeting. We met up with everyone at the clubhouse, and discussed our dinner options. There were two clearly defined groups: those who wanted curry, and the anti-curry rebel faction. Opting for curry, our group headed over to this Thai curry shop, where we chowed down on some fine spicy green curry.

After eating, we headed back to the clubroom, where a few latecomers had just arrived. As always, we had some snacks and drinks while we chatted. Nick and I mentioned to some of them the lantern word game puzzle, and wondered why they were correct. After thinking about it for a while, our Japanese friends explained to us the trick behind the game. In return, they asked us for some English word games. Nick brought out a whopper that completely stumped me; after a while, one of the Japanese students figured it out.

On the way home, I ran into a familiar face on the train. It was my friend Akira, who I hadn’t seen in months. Although he’s training to be a monk, he’s decided to keep his option open, so he’s also job hunting like other Japanese students. What a neat guy. It seems he’ll be more free…next year.

To wrap this story on up, Doshisha EVE revealed to me new possibilities I had never dreamed of. Even if the timing is hard, and even if I have to travel all the way to the Tanabe campus, I’m going to make things work. My future, as always, is in my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment