Friday, September 7, 2012

Let the Hunt Begin...

The week is almost over! Time for fun, at long last! The pace has been picking up rather quickly - my two electives have been giving me reading assignments on par with the IR courses at Tufts, and this is only the beginning.

There were a few notable events that occurred today, the first being that I finally met up with my friend Nick from Tufts. I was actually looking for him all week, but because we haven't been able to exchange phone numbers, it was more of a game of chance than anything else. It seems I missed him yesterday, as I went to eat at the cafe with my Japanese classmate, while Nick was in the cafeteria. Anyway, it was nice catching up with a familiar face, and I'm hoping to check out the Kyudo (Japanese archery) dojo at which I want to take lessons.

After classes, I went with a couple of my classmates, Christina and Hiro, to check out a bread shop in Kyoto. For one of my classes, I need to become a frequent customer at a local shop, and out of my love for bread, I've begun the search for the best bakery in Kyoto. Today brought us to Fleur de Farine, which I liked quite a bit. Sadly, their bread wasn't crusty, but their pastries were fantastic. The only problem is that the store is really small, so I can't very well be an observer there. I need to find a slightly larger store, preferably one with sitting space.

I also discovered that Hiro lives in the same direction as I do (although somewhat farther) so we took the train together. I really enjoyed our conversation (about college and future occupations), and I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm beginning to make friends here. Of course, this is only the beginning, but nevertheless, it's nice to see progress. Incidentally, Japanese classes meet once a week, so it's not unusual for a college student here to take 12 classes. 12 CLASSES. WHAT.

Looking forward to tomorrow, partying Japanese style with some friends.

*Posted late due to crap internet*

1 comment: