Saturday, September 1, 2012

Suburban Living

As one of farthest out of the KCJS group from the city, let me tell you what Japanese suburbs are like. They're rural.

I'm fairly in the middle of nowhere. This is Japan, but the nearest convenience store is a 10 minute walk. 10 minutes! The house is nice, don't get me wrong. It's actually really big, and if I haven't mentioned already, they have a piano. But, after living mere moments from the action in Osaka and Kyoto, life here is pretty slow. Today was fairly relaxed, which wasn't that bad. I unpacked, ate, talked with my host parents. We also went to a local shopping mall, although for Japan, it was TINY! Like, two floors. Nothing there for a fashionable guy like me, haha.

What we did do was find me a keyboard, which I think we'll be getting in the next couple of days. We went to the Yamaha store, and after seeing some fantastic keyboards for way too much money, I picked out one that was on sale. It was the last of its type in stock, so it's only 19,000 yen - that's about $210, give or take. For a 76-key keyboard, that's a great deal, plus it includes a stand and headphones. So, I'll be making a bit of an investment, but I'm sure it will be worth it. With all the free time I have, I'll be practicing a lot!




Oh, and I helped cook dinner tonight! It's the first meal I've cooked outside of the States. Hamburg steak, mashed potatoes, tomato salad, pickles and beer. Pretty darn tasty, I must say. 


Tomorrow, we're back in Kyoto. I have to get me a cell phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment