Friday, August 31, 2012

A New Home

Today I finally met my host family! I'm in my new room now, writing this post. I'll get back to this in a bit.

First of all, we KCJS students took our placement test today. It was way harder than I expected! I only knew half the kanji, and I didn't have enough time to finish the grammar. But the speaking part went well, so hopefully I'll be okay. We went to dinner in Kyoto at a buffet called Sara. Interesting fact - the word for buffet in Japanese is ヴァイキング, or viking. Hell if I know why, that's just how it is. Anyway, it was a lot of fun: I got to talk with a bunch of Japanese students, and I made a few new friends. I'm sure I'll get to know them better in coming days.

Anyway, the news we've all been waiting for! Well, at least I'VE been waiting for: my host family! As mentioned earlier, they're on the older side: 80 and 70. But they're really young at heart. Of course, I hardly know them, but they seem like wonderful people. I'm sure I'll enjoy living with them. The house is bigger than expected, but I also have more responsibility than I thought. They pretty much want me to do whatever I want, but I need to pretty much take care of my own stuff - laundry and whatnot. That's fine by me, I guess - maybe a little separated, but that's to be expected at first. I have my own key too!

My room is Japanese style - tatami mats and futon for sleeping. The rest of the house is pretty western though. They even have a piano! I'm going to get a keyboard anyway, since I can't practice during the night otherwise. I'll try to post my pictures this weekend, but no promises.

The plan for the weekend is pretty relaxed. Tomorrow, I get to chill in this area, taking it easy. Then on Sunday, I'll explore Kyoto a bit, then come back and have dinner with my host parents. Overall, things are pretty good. I'm a bit wiped though, so I'll stop here for now. More on the family life soon.

1 comment:

  1. Ha, you think this version of the test is hard? Try the beginning of last year's where there was also a reading comprehension section with advanced passages and shyte which made even the people who got into E class feel depressed o_o Just....yeah, it could be worse. (Thankfully they got ride of it by the time I took the exit test, lol)

    ReplyDelete