Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Freedom's End (?)

Yesterday was my last day with the Fujiwaras. Actually, Hidehiro had already gone to Tokyo, so I went shopping in Nishinomiya with Haruhi's mother. It was a lot of fun - I didn't actually get anything, but I spoke a TON of Japanese. Apparently, I have an awesome sense of Japanese gaijin humor. Oh, and I finally got to sit down in front of a piano and practice for a bit - looks like I can still play. I really want to practice more. Soon, my Yamaha, you will be MINE!

Actually, we found a fantastic full size Casio, for the UNBELIEVABLY LOW price of 10,000 yen. That's $100. I should have gotten it, but if I had a probably would be dead now. After shopping, I packed my two suitcases and three bags, and got on the train for Kyoto. Unable to sit for 90% of the trip, I then had to trek up 7 blocks. No problem, but with the bags, I was sweating like never before. I arrived at the hotel slick as oil, checked in, and took a nice, long shower. Having done that, I got myself acquainted with the shopping district, headed home, and went to bed.

Well, actually, there was one other thing. I found out that the tickets I got for Choucho's concert on 10/7 aren't going to be of use - I have to be somewhere else that day. So I'm going to try to get tickets for the Osaka show and sell this one. My bad for not checking ahead of time.

This morning, I got up, found out that my computer can't Skype (what the hell?), and headed to do some shopping. And the stores were closed. Turns out they don't open till around 11/12. So I wandered around, found myself in a game center, and tried out Hatsune Miku's Project Diva (Vocaloid rhythm game). It was pretty fun, although I sucked at it, and it killed enough time that I could start shopping. I bought my first sheet music: Joe Hisaishi's "Summer". Can't wait to learn it. I went to a few clothing stores, but all I got was a pendant - I guess I shop better with others. Actually, as a rule of thumb, Japan is better with friends. Being alone in Japan isn't all that great, to be honest. I went to karaoke for an hour, and it only ran me $2! Can you believe that?!

Anyway, that's as far as I've gotten today. KCJS orientation starts tomorrow, might meet some people tonight. Is it bad that I don't want to hang out with them because I only speak Japanese now?

No comments:

Post a Comment